Do you have questions about your Max service? Many customers do. Don't pick up the phone yet. On this page we have gathered the ten most common questions we're asked about Max service. Look through the questions and answers to see if the solution you need is here.
1. What is my Parental and/or Rental PIN?
If you have recently moved from original Max to new Max, your PINs will remain the same as they were before the changeover.
If you didn't have a PIN on the original Max, or you're a brand new Max customer, your PIN will be preset to 1111.
Please take the time to change your PIN in the PIN Management section of Settings on the Max Main Menu. You will also be asked to set up Security Questions that will help you reset your PIN (without calling in SaskTel) if you ever forget it.
If you still are unable to determine your PIN(s), please call SaskTel at 1-800-727-5835 for assistance.
2. The TV picture doesn't look right: there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen (for HD channels), a distorted/off centre picture etc. How can I fix this?
Incorrect picture scaling is usually caused by the wrong aspect ratio setting. If you have an HDTV, the blue LED light on the front of your Max set top box should be lit up to indicate you are receiving proper picture scaling.
To resolve a scaling problem:
If you get a black screen this means you have selected an incorrect aspect ratio, and after a few seconds you will receive a screen that provides the option I saw a black screen. Choose another setting to highlight and press OK.
- Press MENU.
- Use the RIGHT ARROW button to select Settings from the Max Main Menu’s horizontal menu.
- Use the DOWN ARROW button to highlight Television, press OK. The Settings screen will appear with Television selected in the horizontal menu.
- Use the DOWN ARROW buttons to highlight Screen aspect ratio and high definition, press OK. The Screen aspect ratio and high definition screen appears.
- Use the ARROW buttons to highlight the required aspect ratio and resolution, press OK. The following options are available:
- 4:3 standard definition - Used for ordinary televisions.
- Widescreen standard definition - Used if you have a wide-screen TV (16:9 aspect ratio) that does not display in high-definition.
- 720p on high-definition - Used if you have a wide-screen TV that displays video 720 pixels wide.
- 1080i on high-definition - Used if you have a wide-screen TV that displays high-definition video (1080 pixels wide).
- Use the ARROW buttons to highlight Continue, and then press OK.
- You can also highlight Cancel changes, and press OK, at any time to exit from the screen without saving your changes.
- After you select Continue, you will be asked to test the aspect ratio. Highlight Start Test and press OK.
- To keep this setting , highlight Keep setting and press OK.
: Remember, if you have an HDTV, ensure the blue LED on the front of the Max set top box is lit up to verify that your aspect ratio is set properly.
You may also want to refer to How to Change the Max Aspect Ratio.
3. Why does the picture not fill up my entire TV screen when I switch from high definition (HD) programming to standard definition (SD) programming? Why can I see black bars on the side of my screen?
NOTE: This question applies to HD customers only.
If you have an HDTV and your aspect ratio is set for high definition programming (720p or 1080i),
when you switch to an SD channel you’ll see a condensed picture. You’ll need to adjust your HD aspect ratio to get the picture to fill the whole screen:
- Press the B button on your remote control (green square button located right below the DOWN ARROW).
- The viewing panel will appear where you can adjust your
Aspect Ratio by choosing either Stretch or Zoom:
- Stretch – If you have an HDTV and are viewing an SD channel, you can select Stretch to fill out the entire screen. This setting will remain on all SD channels until changed back to normal.
- Zoom 1,2,3 - Allows you to zoom the picture up to three levels depending on your preference.
4. How do I manually program my Max remote to work with my TV/DVD player/other device?
Use the following steps to setup the TV, DVD or AUX mode buttons on your remote control:
- Locate the 4-digit code that corresponds to the device you are attempting to program (e.g. TV, DVD, VCR etc.). To find the code:
- search the Advanced Series Mxv3 Remote Control guide included with your Max Remote control, or
- search MXV3 remote codes on sasktel.com, or
- go to the Max Remote Control section right on your TV and
- Press MENU, using the RIGHT ARROW button to select Help.
- Use the DOWN ARROW to highlight Max Manual, and press OK.
- On the next screen, use the DOWN ARROW to highlight Max Remote Control, and press OK.
- Use the DOWN ARROW to highlight Programming your Remote Control, and press OK.
- Use the DOWN ARROW to highlight 4-digit Remote Control Codes, and press OK.
- Use the ARROW buttons to find your device type and brand (e.g. TV by the manufacturer Samsung).
Most brands will have several codes for a device, so please write them all down before resuming the setup. For example, the possible codes for a Samsung LCD TV are 0007 and 0085.
- Power on the device you want to program (i.e. turn on your TV).
- Press and hold the device button that you wish program i.e. TV, DVD or AUX.
- While holding the device button, press and hold the OK button at the same time.
- Release both buttons, and enter the appropriate 4 digit device code.
- Press the Power button. If the device turns off, the programming was successful.
- If the device remains powered on, start again at step 1 and try using an alternate 4 digit device code.
- Repeat the steps above to set up another device.
NOTE: If an invalid code is entered, or no button is pressed at all for 30 seconds, the mode button light flashes for 3 seconds and turns off. The remote control returns to normal operation and you will need to start over from step 1 to set up the device.
Tip: You may also be able to program your remote control using the learning, or search functions.
For more information on programming your remote please visit the Max Remote Control FAQ section or the Max Remote Control section in the Max User Guide. You may also want to refer to How to Program the Max Remote Control.
5. How do I record a program with Max DTVR?
- Press GUIDE.
- Use the ARROW buttons to highlight the program you want to record from the Guide.
- Press the RECORD button. After this first press, the red record icon will appear in the Guide next to the program, then a brief “recording scheduled” message will appear. You have now set a onetime recording for that program. If you would like to set a series recording continue to step 4.
- Press the RECORD button a second time. After the second press, three overlapping red dots will appear. Three overlapping dots is the series recording icon and indicate that the entire series is scheduled to record. A brief “Series recording scheduled” message will appear at the top of the screen. If you would like to cancel the recording continue to step 5.
- Pressing the RECORD button a third time will make the red dots disappear. A brief “Series recording cancelled” message will appear at the top of the screen.
Tip: When you press RECORD, please wait a few seconds to allow the system to process the request before pressing RECORD again.
See How to Record Programs and Resolve Recording Conflicts with the Max DTVR Service for more details.
6. How do I set up Remote DTVR (RDTVR)?
- Create a Remote DTVR account. Using your Max remote control, select Menu. Use the RIGHT ARROW button to select Recorded TV and the DOWN ARROW to highlight Remote DTVR Setup.
- If you have set your Parental Control PIN, you'll be prompted to enter your PIN to access the page. If you do not know your PIN, try 1111.
- Highlight Create Account and press OK.
- Use your remote to enter your email address from the keypad provided.
An email address may only be used once in the Max system. If you have two DTVR boxes in your home, you'll have to use two separate email addresses, one for each box. A confirmation code will be sent to the email address you provided.
- Check your email. Open the email from SaskTel. Follow the instructions in the email on how to complete the registration process from the Web.
- To register from the web, click the link in the email or go to https://www.maxdtvr.com. Make sure you are on the Registration screen.
The registration screen asks for your Email Address and Confirmation Code. If you accidentally end up on the Log-in screen, you’ll have to click the “Register Now!” link at the top of the screen to get to the registration screen.
On the Registration Screen, enter your e-mail address and the confirmation code you received in the email. In the spaces provided then select Next.
- Create the password you will use to Log in to Max Remote DTVR in the future and set up a Security question in case you forget you password. Once complete, click Register.
Your account is now registered and you’ll be logged into the application.
See How to register for and set up Max Remote DTVR for an Internet connected computer for more details.
7. Why does the notification "All HD services are in use" appear on my screen?
You got this message because you have more set top boxes than HD streams.
Max supports up to a total of three HD streams per home to be used however you would like. For example, you may choose to watch live HD programming on three different TVs, or if you are a Max DTVR customer, you may choose to record two HD programs, while watching a third.
An HD stream will be used even if your TV is turned off as long as your set top box is still powered on and tuned to an HD program.
Whenever you perform an action that causes a stream conflict Max will provide you with on-screen options to select from.
NOTE: Watching a recorded HD program does not count against your available HD streams.
If you attempt to change channels to an HD channel, when all HD streams are in use, Max provides you with three options:
NOTE: You will also see a similar alert message if you attempt to use more HD streams on a single set top box than the box is allowed to use.
- Try again later. If a stream is available, the full screen video is displayed.
- Select a recording. The Recorded TV screen is displayed. You can change the recorded program or cancel one of the currently recording programs.
- Interrupt a TV. The Interrupt confirmation message is displayed. If you choose to interrupt a stream, a confirmation message appears. If you choose to interrupt the program, a stream will be taken from the set top box whose remote has been inactive the longest.
8. Can I lock out specific TV channels?
If you have finished setting up parental locking, use the ARROW buttons to highlight Lock, and then press OK.
- Press MENU.
- Use the RIGHT ARROW to highlight Settings on the Max Main Menu’s horizontal menu bar.
- Use the DOWN ARROW to highlight Parental Controls, and press OK. You will now be prompted to enter your 4-digit parental PIN.
NOTE: A “lock” Symbol next to Parental locking means that you 4-digit parental PIN has been set and parental locking is in effect.
- The Parental locking Settings screen will now appear, giving you several options to customize your parental settings. Use the ARROW buttons to highlight Change, next to Channels, and press OK.
- The Lock channels Settings screen appears, showing a list of all channels (both locked and unlocked).
Once locked, viewers will not be able to view locked channels without entering the correct 4-digit Parental PIN.
- If a channel is unlocked, no lock icon is shown next to it.
- If a channel is already locked, a lock icon is shown next to it.
- Use the ARROW buttons to highlight a channel that you want to lock or unlock, and press OK:
- To lock an unlocked channel, press OK, to make a lock icon appear.
- To unlock a locked channel, press OK, to clear its lock icon.
- To unlock all channels, highlight Unlock all on the left side of the screen, and press OK.
- To only see locked channels, highlight View locked only and press OK. (This option is only available if you have at least one locked channel).
- Highlight Save, and press OK. You should be returned to the Parental Locking Settings screen.
: For information on more ways to customize your parental settings, see theMax User Guideor the Parental Controls section.
9. How do I rent a Front Row Video On Demand Movie from Max?
- Press the VIDEO ON DEMAND button on your remote.
- Use the ARROW buttons to select the Movies or Featured category.
- Press the ARROW buttons to highlight a genre or subcategory such as Action or Family, and press OK.
- Highlight the movie you want to rent, and press OK.
- To continue to rent the movie, use the ARROW buttons to highlight “Rent for $##.##”, and press OK. A panel will pop up at the bottom of the screen for you to enter in your 4-digit Rental PIN.
- Enter in your 4-digit Rental PIN, and press OK.
- A confirmation panel will appear. Highlight Rent for $##.## and select OK. You will receive a brief “Thank you for your rental” message and your rental will begin to play.
10. How do I rent a Pay Per View Event using the Guide?
- Press GUIDE on the Max remote.
- Use the ARROW buttons or CH/PG to navigate through the Guide to channel 602 or 603 (and 605 or 606 if you subscribe to Max HD).
- Use the RIGHT ARROW button to navigate to a time when a PPV will air. Highlight the event, and press OK.
- The Program Info screen appears for the selected Program. Highlight Buy for $ amount, and press OK.
- You'll be prompted to enter your Rental PIN which is a 4-digit PIN required to purchase any PPV events. Use the Numeric Keypad to enter in your Rental PIN, and press OK.
- After the Rental PIN has been accepted, you must confirm if you want to purchase the PPV event or choose not to purchase it.
- Use the ARROW buttons to highlight Buy For $ amount, and press OK.
You can now watch the event when it plays in it's scheduled time slot. If you subscribe to Max DTVR service you can schedule a recording for the PPV.
See Using Max Video on Demand for more details.
Didn't find what you need here? Try our Support area.