LoRaWAN (Long Range Wide Area Network)
The Long Range Wide Area Network (LoRaWAN®) specification is a Low Power, Wide Area (LPWA) networking protocol designed to use unlicensed spectrum to wirelessly connect battery operated ‘things’ to the internet and targets key Internet of Things (IoT) requirements such as bi-directional communication, end-to-end security, mobility and localization services.
LoRaWAN may be of interest to your business if you use IoT applications that are low cost, use low data rates, require long battery life, and operate in remote and hard to reach locations.
LoRaWAN is currently available In Regina, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Meadow Lake, and Melfort.
What does this mean for your business?
Smart Cities — Enhance monitoring and management of urban services, including:
- Waste management - Monitor outdoor garbage bins for collection optimization
- Smart street lighting - Monitor outages, power consumption, engagement with citizens for outages
- Water/Energy Monitoring and Management - Real-time information around usage, leakage notification, to reduce waste and potential damage
Smart Agriculture - Know exactly when and where you need to take action, including:
- Soil sensors - Monitor soil conditions for analysis and treatment
- Equipment sensors - Proactively monitor equipment to reduce downtime and track efficiency
- Livestock monitoring - Track location and biometric Information from livestock via smart collars and ear tags
Cross Vertical Solutions – Bring ease of tracking to assets and locales
- Asset tracking - Locate inventory items instantly
- Storage monitoring - Monitor entry and status of remote buildings
- Environment monitoring - Monitor water and air conditions to aid in policy development and treatment
What does LoRaWAN offer?
- Connects devices up to 30 miles apart in rural areas and penetrates dense urban or deep indoor environments
- Requires minimal energy with a prolonged battery lifetime of up to 10 years, minimizing battery replacement costs
- Features end-to-end AES128 encryption, mutual authentication, integrity protection, and confidentiality
- Offers device interoperability and global availability of LoRaWAN networks for speedy deployment of IoT applications anywhere
- Enables GPS-free tracking applications, offering unique low power benefits untouched by other technologies
- Maintains communication with devices in motion without strain on power consumption
- Reduces infrastructure investment, battery replacement expense, and ultimately operating expenses
Do you require a LoRaWAN solution?
SaskTel would love to engage with interested organizations to further test and evaluate opportunities. Contact your sales rep or visit sasktel.com/innovation.