Wireless Fair Use Policy
Wireless Fair Use Policy
Wireless Data Usage
SaskTel data limitations are in place to ensure an optimal network experience for all our customers. By managing the data usage of a very small group of the heaviest data users, we can maintain a higher quality of service for all customers. Managing data consumption also allows us to continue to offer the only Canada-wide data plans with no additional roaming charges.
The Wireless Fair Use Policy data usage limits are:
- 5 GB per monthly billing cycle for the Total 5 and Total 75 plans.
- 15 GB per monthly billing cycle for the Total 15, Ultimate 100, Ultimate 105, VIP 85, and VIP 90 plans.
- 20 GB per monthly billing cycle for Business VIP 60, Business VIP 80, and the VIP 20 plan.
- 30 GB per monthly billing cycle for the Total 30, Total 125 and Total 130 plans.
- 50 GB per monthly billing cycle for Business VIP 115 and Business VIP 135 plans.
- 10 GB per monthly billing cycle for all other wireless data plans that include unlimited data.
See the Wireless Fair Use Policy Non-Tariff (pdf) for complete details.
Exceeding The Wireless Fair Use Policy Limits for Data
If you exceed the Wireless Fair Use Policy usage limits, your wireless data service will be slowed down to 512 Kbps download speed and 512 Kbps upload speed for Total 5, Total 10 and Total 75, and 2 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps upload speed for all other wireless data plans that include unlimited data, for the remainder of your billing period. This will affect all of your wireless data services such as browsing the web, streaming audio and video, uploading and downloading pictures and any apps that require an internet connection. Please be assured that this slowdown will still allow you to access web browsing, email and instant messaging. While you probably won’t notice the difference if you are browsing webpages, you may notice difficulty in doing activities that consume high bandwidth, such as when you try to stream radio or videos.
If you go over the data limit, you’ll receive a text message informing you that your data speed has been reduced for the rest of your billing period. Please note that Mobile Internet and MiFi devices are unable to receive text messages. Incoming text messages are always free.
- From: 3065200051
- Message: "Your SaskTel wireless data speed in Canada has been reduced for the rest of this bill period. www.sasktel.com/fairuse "
Restoring Your Data Speeds
At the end of your billing period, your data speed will return to normal. However, if your data usage exceeds the limit in any subsequent billing period, your wireless data service will again be slowed for the remainder of that period.
See Restoring your wireless data speed for more information.
Non-SaskTel Network Data Usage
We’ve partnered with other carriers to offer wireless coverage outside of Saskatchewan. As a result of these partnership costs, we’ve established the Wireless Fair Use Policy to manage your wireless data usage while you’re using another carrier’s network outside of Saskatchewan.
While on another carrier’s network in Canada (with whom SaskTel has roaming agreements):
- With the exception of customers who use more than half of their data outside of Saskatchewan (see below), your data usage limits anywhere in Canada are the same as when you are on the SaskTel network.
- Primary data use outside of Saskatchewan: SaskTel wireless data services are meant to be used primarily within Saskatchewan. If a majority of your data usage on an ongoing basis is occurring outside of Saskatchewan, we reserve the right to limit your data speeds and/or the amount of data transferred; deny, suspend or terminate the service or any part, component or feature thereof, without notice, of anyone believed to be using any SaskTel provided wireless data service or feature in any manner that adversely impacts SaskTel. This reservation applies to all data plans and will affect all of your wireless internet and data services.
There are no data usage limits or speed reductions imposed by SaskTel when you travel internationally; but remember, you have to pay for the data you use, and it can be quite expensive. For example, roaming charges in some areas are $15 per MB.
Wireless Voice and Text Usage
The SaskTel Wireless Fair Use Policy includes new information on limits and restrictions for voice and text services purchased on an unlimited basis. We want to make sure you understand how these services work to prevent any surprises on your bill.