SaskTel Indigenous Youth Awards of Excellence
Applications are now closed. Only winning recipients will be notified. 2024 applications will open in spring 2024.
The SaskTel Indigenous Youth Awards of Excellence celebrate outstanding achievement in our young people. The Wicihitowin Foundation with our Title Sponsor SaskTel established the awards in 1997 with the support of the public, government, and private sector.
The Wicihitowin Foundation was created to honour First Nations, Metis, and Indigenous Veterans by nurturing Indigenous youth, preparing them to rise to the challenge of responsibility and leadership, and preparing them to excel as tomorrow's leaders – "strong, brave and true".
The SaskTel Indigenous Youth Awards of Excellence recognize youth achievement in the following categories:
Outstanding Academic Achievement
- Demonstrates outstanding leadership with exceptional academic success
- Leads a positive lifestyle
- GPA of 80% or higher
- Leads, inspires, and motivates others through actions and solutions
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and respects diverse cultures
- Supports others
Culture & Community
- Promotes Indigenous cultures, values, and language in school and the community
- Shows concern for others in the community
- Generously gives their time and energy promoting the well- being of others
- Significant achievement in competitive organized sports or recreation
- Initiates, develops, improves, and encourages community and recreations activities that promote health lifestyles
Arts & Science
- Demonstrates artistic expression in dance, song, music, storytelling, sculpture, photography, media, or creative art
- Demonstrate interest or involvement in applied science, health, industry or technologies
- Must be of First Nations, Metis, or Inuit ancestry
- All participants must provide proof of ancestry. Accepted forms of proof are: Canada Status Card, Inuit, and Inuvialuit identification, or a Métis Card from one of the provincial bodies recognized by the Métis National Council (the Métis Nation – Saskatchewan).
- Between 14 and 18 years of age by December 31, 2023
- A resident of Saskatchewan and a registered student
- 2 references required (they will be contacted)
- Able to demonstrate outstanding commitment and/or ability in one of the award categories