SaskTel Releases its 2020/21 Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Report
November 4, 2021
Today SaskTel announced the release of its SaskTel Cares 2020/21 Environmental, Social, and Governance Report highlighting SaskTel’s impact on the environment, the social influence on our communities, and our governance practice focused on ethical leadership and practices.
In alignment with the industry, this report is an evolution of SaskTel’s annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report. The first year of the SaskTel Environmental, Social, and Governance Report transitioned to align SaskTel’s CSR strategy with ESG:
With our focus on Environmental Stewardship and sustainability we aim to protect the natural environment and uphold social responsibilities while growing our business and connecting customers to their world so that future generations can enjoy the benefits of a clean and healthy environment.
SaskTel strives to improve the standard of living for people in Saskatchewan. We have been, and continue to be, a major contributor to the quality of life in this province.
Ethical leadership remains a key focal point within the organization, and SaskTel’s Board of Directors has set a priority that ethical business conduct is an expectation embraced throughout all levels of the company.
SaskTel will continue the evolution of ESG reporting in subsequent annual publications as industry standards are established.
“Environmental, Social, and Governance initiatives have always been a key part of SaskTel’s identity and an integral part to how we operate,” said Doug Burnett, SaskTel President and CEO. “It speaks to how we continually strive to foster healthy work environments, diverse leadership and innovation within our workforce and the community, as well as how we incorporate sustainability into our day-to-day operations.”
Key highlights from this years’ report include:
- SaskTel contributed $2,502,632 to 308 non-profit and charitable organizations, community associations, venues, events, and partnerships.
- The SaskTel Pioneers, a network of both current and retired employee volunteers, contributed $281,313 in financial donations and a total of $1,065,250 in-kind donations.
- SaskTel TelCare, SaskTel’s employee-driven charitable donation program, contributed $229,765 to 65 locally operated charities and non-profits.
- SaskTel was recognized for our sustainability and greening efforts, being once again named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers.
- SaskTel invested:
- $85.9 million to expand the availability of SaskTel’s infiNET™ service
- $91.6 million dedicated to wireless network enhancement
- $69.2 million to ensure SaskTel’s wireline network meets ongoing capacity and technology requirements.
- SaskTel continues to bring world-class communications technologies to residents throughout our province, covering 99% of the population with wireless and internet.
- SaskTel became a Signatory of the Indigenous Engagement Charter, an initiative put forth by the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce.
SaskTel is the leading Information and Communications Technology (ICT) provider in Saskatchewan, with over $1.3 billion in annual revenue and approximately 1.4 million customer connections including 639,000 wireless accesses, 289,000 wireline network accesses, 289,000 internet accesses, 114,000 maxTV subscribers, and 81,000 security monitoring customers. SaskTel and its wholly-owned subsidiaries offer a wide range of ICT products and services including competitive voice, data and Internet services, wireless data services, maxTV services, data centre services, cloud-based services, security monitoring services, advertising services, and international software and consulting services. SaskTel and its wholly-owned subsidiaries have a workforce of approximately 3,400 full-time equivalent employees (FTEs). Visit SaskTel at www.sasktel.com.